Sunday, September 7, 2008

Subramaniapuram Swathi Interview:

Subramaniapuram Colors Swathi Interview:


Tell us a little bit about yourself

I have completed graduation in Biotechnology and have always been a studious girl. My dad was in Indian navy and so I did schooling in different places and finally we are now settled in Hyderabad. I was doing my graduation when director Krishna Vamsi offered me this off-beat film in Telugu Danger and later I did Aadavari Matalaku Ardhalu Verule .

Actually Subramaniapuram is the first movie where I play heroine in a pucca commercial film.

Are you elated after knowing that Subramaniapuram is turning out to be a hit?
I can’t tell you how happy I am. I came into the industry without any formal training in acting, no Godfathers, no industry connections and had never made a portfolio or done make-up or screen tests. When we started work for the film, there were lots of initial hiccups like continuous rain etc. But the entire unit was so kicked-up and optimistic that we completed the film on time.

Do you identify with the Thulasi character that you played in Subramaniapuram?
Not at all. I am the opposite of Thulasi in real life - fun loving, outgoing and is thoroughly a city-bred girl. It was very difficult for me to have that Vekkam (shy and coy) look on my face and body language. Initially when I got this offer to do the role, I was very skeptical if I could do justice. First and foremost- I did not know Tamil and to shoot continuously in a village with new people around was a challenge. But when we started shoot my thoughts completely changed.

Why do you say so?
The unit of Subramaniapuram was like a family. Everybody was hard working, was passionate about their work and above we all had great faith in the script. It was a great team spirit and everyone was so involved as they wanted to prove themselves, including my director Sasikumar. So now when I hear that the film is a hit, I feel so happy that all the hard work that we all put into the film has been handsomely rewarded and I have to say that Tamil audiences have proved that a good film will always be appreciated, in spite of not having any big stars or technicians.

Any interesting incidents on the sets?
The climax scene was a very touchy one. Both I and Jai did not use glycerin and even after the shot was Okayed by the director, I was crying and it took me quiet sometime to be normal. I can never forget that.

Do you think that violence was a bit too much in the film?
I have to share this with you. I had asked Sasikumar the same thing while we were shooting. And the next day, he showed me a news item in a local daily about an incident that happened in Madurai the previous day which was similar to our story. So he tried to tell me that his story was not a fantasy and such incidents and characters are a part of normal life in Madurai area.

Do you plan to continue as actress?
I, did not plan anything in life. It happened an anchor on TV or entering films. Everything just happened for me including Subramaniapuram turning out to be a big hit. I am currently doing a Telugu film titled Ashta Chamma with a new hero with a National Award winning director. I want to do good films and if it does not work out I have my education to fall back on (smiles).

What do you do when you are not shooting?
I watch movies, listen to music and basically I am a very homely girl

No comments: